Saturday, December 15, 2018

Where Eggs Go

I think I'll take a rest now, says Celia.

What about my pot? asks Terence.

It's finished, says Celia. You'll just have to live with it. Who was it for?

Sweezus and Gaius, says Terence.

Let me see it. says Gaius.

It's the first time he has properly seen it.

He sits down at the table.

See, says Terence. You can put things in it.

And they will roll out, says Gaius. Because of the slope.

You can always put something under it, says Celia.

I don't keep items that are superfluous, says Gaius.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

Things I don't need, says Gaius.

Very wise, says Humboldt. Travel light, that's my motto.

You do need this pot, says Terence.

I know, says Gaius. And I shall keep it. I just don't have anything spare to put under it.

What about this bird book? says Celia.

Hurrah! says Terence. That was LOST! I need that.

What for? asks Celia. You have me now.

In case you turn out to be rubbish, says Terence. Then I can look for another parrot.

I will turn out to be the best parrot you've ever had, says Celia. I've already taught you the best way to decide things.

What things did I decide? asks Terence.

The wrong things, says Celia. But they turned out all right. Except that your pot is sub-standard.

Do I see toast crumbs embedded in it? asks Humboldt.

Yes, says Gaius. Toast crumbs forming a pattern. They will drop out over time. Was that the intention?

Terence thinks hard. Would it be good if that was the intention?

He looks at Celia. She shakes her green head, meaning no.

So Celia thinks no.

But Terence thinks otherwise.

Yes, says Terence.

Who had toast? asks Gaius.

No one in the cabin. And probably not Arthur and Sweezus. They are not back yet. And last night they flaked without supper.

Must be old crumbs, says Humboldt. They'll drop out even sooner.

Leaving a pattern, says Celia.

Wonderful, says Gaius. I shall cherish my half.

The door opens.

The recipent of the other half walks in, with six free range eggs that he believes Arthur paid for in Woolies.

Where do these eggs go? asks Sweezus.

No comments: