Thursday, January 14, 2021

Character Is Destiny

Sweezus and Kierkegaard have reached the Flinders Chase entrance. It's closed.

They wait for Arthur and Victor, who are not far behind, with the ladder.

Ring! It's Sweezus's phone.

Hi boss, says Sweezus.

Hello, says Vello. When will you be back in Adelaide?

Pretty soon, says Sweezus. How'd the quarantine go?

Don't remind me, says Vello. You do know the Tour Down Under was cancelled?

Yeah, says Sweezus.

But we're having a Festival of Cycling, says Vello. A bit Mickey Mouse, but that's the sporting life these days. 

Yeah I know. I'm coming back for it, says Sweezus. Soon as I've finished up here.

How's that story progressing? asks Vello. 

Everything's cool, says Sweezus. Kierkegaard's helping.

He's no minor philosopher! says Vello.

I know, says Sweezus. We've got two actual minor philosophers, bringing up the ladder.

Who are they? asks Vello. 

Heraclitus and Thales, says Sweezus.

Well done! says Vello. Are they with you now? May I speak with Heraclitus?

He's a bit out out of breath, says Sweezus.

Well Thales then, says Vello.

Sweezus makes an agonised face at Arthur. 

What? says Arthur. 

The boss, mouths Sweezus. Wants to talk to Thales.

He hands Arthur his phone. 

Elloa, says Arthur.

Pardon? says Vello.

Elloo-aa! says Arthur.

Is that you, Arthur? asks Vello.

Nooo-a, says Arthur. Ee arm Thales.

Sweezus kicks him on the shin.

Arthur drops his end of the ladder.

Sweezus grabs back the phone.

He's dropped the ladder, says Sweezus. Can I call you back later?

No, I'll be busy. Let me talk to Heraclitus. He must have his breath back by now.

Sweezus hands Victor the phone. 

Heraclitus speaking, says Victor, in a disguised voice, much better than Arthur's. 

(He enjoys undercover work).

How fortunate that you just happened to be on Kangaroo Island, says Vello.

Not at all, says Heraclitus. I come often.

But I'm guessing you don't often take part in a rescue, says Vello.

Wrong, says Heraclitus, I have my Mobius ladder. 

I hope Sweezus isn't writing this up as a comedy, says Vello.

I would not allow that, says Heraclitus. It is a serious matter. We are about to enter the deadly precincts, though a hole in the fence. It involves a few ups and downs with the ladder. We must be allowed to get on with it. 

All right, says Vello. Good luck with the rescue.

No luck involved, says Heraclitus. Character is destiny.

 

No comments: