Thursday, January 7, 2021

Gotta Keep It Simple

Hercules would be useful on a rescue mission, says Victor.

Irrelevant, says Kierkegaard. He was not a philosopher.

All right, says Victor. I'll take Heraclitus as my alias.

Awesome, says Sweezus. Who'll be Thales?

Me, says Arthur.

Thales was a mathematician, says Gaius. The first known person to whom a mathematical discovery was attributed.

He'll be our ladder man, says Sweezus. Heraclitus can be.... what?

The maker of cryptic utterances, says Gaius.

Ha ha, laughs Kierkegaard. You expect me to invent cryptic utterances?

You expect me to make them? asks Victor.

You won't have to make them, I'll make them, says Kierkegaard.

All right then, says Victor. But first, is there any more trifle?

Yes, says Carol. And look! A glacé cherry!

She spears it with a dessert fork, and drops it on top of Victor's second helping.

Who can I be? asks Terence.

You're not in it, says Sweezus. You didn't go.

But it's a made-up story, says Terence. So I could be in it.

Beep! 

Your Charigotchi wants to be in it, says Louisa.

Yeah, says Reedy. I bet that's what it wants.

It can't be in it unless I say so, says Terence.

It can't be in it anyway, says Sweezus. Gotta keep things simple.

Hear hear, says Gaius. So Victor is Heraclitus the Obscure, and Arthur is Thales. Will you perform a re-enactment?

Good thinking, says Sweezus. You up for it Kierky?

Of course he is. It will help him forget Angelina.

Can you do it without the ladder? asks Louisa. It's back at my place.

I guess so, says Sweezus.

I have a ladder, says Carol. You're welcome to borrow it.

Very kind, says Gaius. When will you lads set off on the re-enactment?

This arvo, says Sweezus. The roads'll be quiet.

Beep! goes the Charigotchi. Beep! Beep!

No one bothers to see what he wants. He has probably already got it.

Have a nap first, says Carol. Let the Wild Gin wear off.

But they are fired up now.

Arthur and Victor have already gone out to find Carol's ladder.

Kierkegaard and Sweezus, the ghost writers, grab a last handful of popcorn.

Good luck, says Louisa.

Bad luck, says Terence.

Can you have both things at once?

A question for Heraclitus.


No comments: