Friday, January 29, 2021

Storm And Earthquake Song

Afternoon. Gaius arrives home, with Terence.

Kierkegaard is waiting.

Where were you? asks Kierkegaard.

Where were YOU? asks Gaius.

Here, says Kierkegaard. 

Apologies, says Gaius. There was a meeting. I have a part in a play.

And me, says Terence. I'm the Storm and the Earthquake.

What's the play? asks Kierkegaard.

Candide, says Gaius. Vello puts it on every year in the Adelaide Fringe.

Everyone's in it, says Terence. Even Ageless and Captain Baudin.

But not me, says Kierkegaard. Pity. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at acting.

You may get an opportunity, says Gaius. I might need a stand-in.

What's a stand-in? asks Terence.

Someone who takes your part if you can't do it, says Gaius. They have to know all the lines.

Oh, says Terence. 

He starts taking his socks off. Something feels funny.

And why might you need a stand-in? asks Kierkegaard.

If the Trans-Tasman travel bubble is reinstated, says Gaius, I'll be off to New Zealand.

And are there many lines in your part? asks Kierkegaard.

Wah! cries Terence. My toe's come off again.

That's not a bad thing, says Gaius. I'll glue it back on right side up.

Terence thinks quickly.

If the toe's right side up, he won't need the socks, but he wants the socks as part of his costume.

His Storm and Earthquake song will be no good without them.

Gaius is looking for his fish glue. He finds it. Takes the lid off.

Well? says Kierkegaard.

I play an officer of the Inquisition, says Gaius. I overhear Pangloss saying everything that happens is for the best, and cannot be otherwise.

Oops, says Kierkegaard. Is Pangloss denying Free Will? I suppose he's arrested.

Yes, says Gaius. I accuse him of denying Original Sin.

What does he reply? asks Kierkegaard.

It's upside down again! says Terence.

Drat! says Gaius. That comes of not concentrating.

Yay! It's all for the best! says Terence, standing up, pulling his socks on, and dancing.


No comments: