Sunday, January 24, 2021

Victoria Park - Too Old To Do

I can't help thinking we're too old to do this, says Vello.

It was your idea, says David. You must have known a heatwave was likely.

A bit of heat won't hurt us, says Gaius.

Yes but forty three degrees, says Vello. The advice is to stay indoors and keep cool.

Too late now. The Criterium has started.

Twenty laps round the race course.

All Luke Durbridge has to do is not take a tumble.

There's no time for talking.

Nevertheless Sweezus finds himself next to Richie, and starts talking.

Hey man, says Sweezus. Good ride yesterday.

Thanks mate, says Richie. Couldn't've done it without Plappy.

Yeah? says Sweezus.

Yeah, says Richie. He could've passed me but he didn't. Kudos to him.

Sweezus thinks yeah freakin' kudos to Plappy.

Richie speeds up to narrow a gap.

Arthur rides up behind Sweezus.

Again there's no time for talking.

But Sweezus starts talking.

If I was at the top of Willy Hill and you were right behind me and you thought you could pass me what would you do?

Good question, says Arthur. And what if it was me?

It is you, says Sweezus.

I mean what if I was winning, but you could pass me, says Arthur. Would you?

Would never happen, says Sweezus.

But now they have both lost momentum.

They won't face that conundrum today.


No comments: