Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Parrot Thinks About Socks

Take my toe off, says Terence. And glue it on again.

It's not that simple, says Gaius. It's dried.

Undry it! says Terence.

I'll need a solvent, says Gaius. Nail polish remover is best. I'll ask Carol.

He goes off to find Carol.

You should keep it like it is, says Charitchi.

Why? asks Terence. It'll scrape when I walk. No more sneaking.

Do you go in for sneaking? asks Charitchi.

Lots, says Terence. I never sleep, that's why.

What about a sock? asks Charitchi.

What about one? asks Terence.

You could wear one, says Charitchi. Or two if you want to look normal.

You're so smart, you should think about being a parrot, says Terence.

No way, says Charitchi. I never think about parrots. Ai! Too late now! 

It IS too late now. Charitchi is riding a parrot.

Yay! says Terence. Ask it what it thinks about socks.

It doesn't think, says Charitchi.

I do, says the parrot. But not about socks.

Start thinking, says Terence. (He's used to giving orders to parrots).

Gaius appears with a pair of low-cut aquamarine socks, with tiny swimsuit-clad figures engaged in aquatic activities woven into the pattern.

They are Carol's. She doesn't wear nail polish.

Try these, says Gaius. 

Terence tries on the socks. They are loose round the heels, but stay on.

Everyone admires them, including the parrot.


No comments: