Sunday, January 3, 2021

Is Nitchy-wah Something You Want?

See that? says Terence's bird-on-a-bike Tamagotchi.

You didn't die, says Terence.

I'll never die, says the bird-on-a-bike Tamagotchi.

But no one picked up your droppings, says Terence.

The death function is disabled, says the bird-on-a-bike Tamagotchi.

That's good, says Terence. Reedy did it.

Want some popcorn? asks the bird-on-a-bike Tamagotchi.

Not your popcorn, says Terence. It's made out of droppings.

It's real popcorn, says the bird-on-a-bike Tamagotchi. Reedy fixed it so that I can have what I want.

Terence frowns.

Reedy should never have fixed his Tamagotchi so it could have what it wants.

Konnichiwa, says the bird-on-a-bike Tamagotchi.

Nitchy-wah? Is that something you want? asks Terence. 

It means Good afternoon, says the bird-on-a-bike Tamagotchi. My name is Charigotchi.  What is your name?

Owner, says Terence.

No it isn't, says Charigotchi. That's a trick name. I'm going to call you Marutchi, which means baby.

Terence has had enough of his Tamagotchi. 

He buries it under a cushion.

And goes to the table where Gaius is calling Kierkegaard to see if he's still on Kangaroo Island and if so, would he like to come over to Carol's, for trifle and popcorn?

Kierkegaard has been sitting alone in his motel room, googling himself.

There are many quotes attributed to him, which he doesn't remember.

When for example would he have claimed anxiety was the dizziness of freedom? And when was his standpoint armed neutrality?

What a wanker. 

Then his phone rings.

Soren! says Gaius. Are you by any chance still on Kangaroo Island?

I am, says Kierkegaard. Alone in Kingscote.

Excellent, says Gaius. Would you like to join us for popcorn and trifle?

Am I dreaming ? wonders Kierkegaard. Surely not. Would I dream up popcorn and trifle?

I would love to, says Kierkegaard. Where are you?

Gaius gives him Carol's address, which is just down the road, as it happens.

I'll walk there, says Kierkegaard. Shall I bring anything?

Just your best thoughts, says Gaius.

Kierkegaard feels dizzily anxious, arms himself with neutrality, leaves his room, and walks down the road to Carol's.


No comments: