Monday, January 25, 2021

Perfect for What?

 The next day. Lunch time.

Ageless and Captain Baudin wait for Gaius, in a Norwood café.

Terence runs in.

Where's Gaius? asks Ageless. Is he coming?

He's coming, says Terence. 

Terence clambers onto a stool.

Nice socks, says Ageless.

Terence had forgotten he was wearing Carol's old socks.

One of them's hiding my secret upside-down toe, says Terence.

You don't say, says Ageless. How'd that happen?

That's what socks do, says Terence.

That's not what I meant, says Ageless.

Gaius arrives moments later, and sits down.

At last, says Captain Baudin.

I'm not late am I? asks Gaius. Where are the others?

At least we can have that chat about the Cincinnati, says Captain Baudin.

O yes, says Gaius. I know all about the Cincinnati. A terrible family. Tried to prevent the plebs from voting.

Are you sure ? asks Captain Baudin. The Society of the Cincinnati is prestigious, 

Fiddlesticks, says Gaius. I grant you Lucius Quintius knew when to go. But as to his reputation for civic virtue....

Where did he go? asks Captain Baudin. 

Back to his plough, on his farm outside Rome, says Gaius.

The Society of the Cincinnati is in America, says Captain Baudin. I was under the impression that George Washington had something to do with it....

But now Vello and David have arrived.

Greetings, dear lobsters and Gaius! says Vello. And Terence, in his vibrant aquamarine socks. Where are the others?

I don't need others. I've only got two feet, says Terence.

What? Only two feet! Ha ha! laughs Vello.

What's everyone having? asks David. Shall I order coffee?

He goes to the counter.

Sweezus and Arthur come in and sit down.

Good, says Vello. We're all here. I have a proposition. But first, what are everyone's plans?

My plans are on hold, says Gaius. The bubble with New Zealand is temporarily cancelled.

Wonderful, says Vello.

Gaius frowns.

Work, says Sweezus. 

Good to hear, says Vello. But I know what that means.

Ditto, says Arthur.

Since when? asks Vello.

Baudin and I are free agents, says Ageless.

Not exactly...., begins Captain Baudin.

Nonsense! says Vello. A retired sea captain is always a free agent. And you will be perfect.

That's got their attention. Perfect for what?


No comments: