Tuesday, March 19, 2024

All In The Face

The plane has landed in Gladstone.

Now what? asks Katherine.

We catch a bus to Kroombit Tops, says Gaius. I'll find out when it goes.

Hold your horses, says Katherine. We don't have any camping equipment.

But the weather is fine, says Gaius.

I am not camping in Kroombit Tops without a tent, says Katherine. Not to mention supplies. 

Yes, we should go shopping first, says Nerida. We need water and cheese and dry biscuits, and maybe some apples..

I had intended to ask you to do that, says Gaius.

We could stay in Gladstone overnight, says Arthur. In a hotel. While we get organised.

Good thinking, Arthur, says Gaius.

They take a shuttle bus into Gladstone. The bus drops them outside the Gladstone Grand Hotel.

Arthur goes in and, five minutes later, comes out again

I've booked two double rooms, says Arthur. I just need to show them a credit card.

Take mine, says Gaius. I hope these double rooms aren't expensive,

I always get a good deal, says Arthur.

So it will be me and Nerida in one room, you and Arthur in the other, says Katherine.

Naturally, says Gaius. And who will have Terence?

I should choose, says Terence.

Go on, says Katherine. 

I choose Gaius and Arthur, says Terence.

Good choice, says Nerida. All the boys together.

And Greedy, says Terence. She's a girl though.

Maybe we should have Greedy, says Nerida. We could try and fix her up properly.

Okay, says Terence. Where is she?

In my pocket, says Arthur. He zips open the pocket and takes Greedy out.

She looks terrible! says Nerida. 

No wonder, says Katherine. After all she's been through.

Greedy's face does indeed look like the face of someone who has been blown up, pierced with pencils, deflated, plastered, left on a plane in a squeeze bag, found by a handsome captain, returned to her fellow travellers and shoved into a dark pocket with a key leash and drain hole for the descent into Gladstone.

If a face can show that.

No comments: