Monday, March 11, 2024

First Worst Thing

Terence takes charge of Greedy.

You're fixed, says Terence. 

Why did you laugh just now? asks Greedy.

You've got a slow leak, says Terence. Know what that means?

I'm not properly fixed, says Greedy.

So keep your mouth shut, says Terence. 

That's not where my slow leak is, says Greedy.  

Where is it? asks Terence. 

Under the plaster, says Greedy. It's loose.

It's got blood on it, says Terence.

I know, says Greedy.

Katherine said you've seen worse, says Terence.

I may have, says Greedy. 

Can't you remember? asks Terence.

No, says Greedy. My memories don't go back that far.

What's the last thing you remember? asks Terence.

You, asking me a stupid question, says Greedy.

What was it? asks Terence.

You should have asked me what's the FIRST thing I remember, says Greedy.

THAT would be a stupid question, says Terence.

No it wouldn't, says Greedy. What's the first thing you remember?

Now Terence realises that he should have asked Greedy that question.

Okay, says Terence. What is it?

How would I know? says Greedy.

Because it's the first thing after what you've forgotten, says Terence.

But I asked YOU, says Greedy.

Terence tries to remember the first thing he remembers.

Getting whacked with a spade, says Terence. By Saint Joseph.

That's a good one. Now me, says Greedy.

At last! says Terence.

The first thing I remember is Hedley blowing me up, says Greedy. 

Was that the worst thing? asks Terence.

I don't think so, says Greedy.

I thought it would be cleaning the toilet, says Terence.

I'd remember that, says Greedy.

Is Terence imagining it, or does she already look thinner?


No comments: