Saturday, March 2, 2024

Dark Isn't Terrible!

Adelaide airport.

Has Arthur turned up yet?

Yes here he is now, just in time for boarding.

They queue to get on. Gaius first.

Welcome, Mr Secundus, says the boarding attendant. 

She looks hard at his pass.

Is something wrong? asks Gaius.

She smiles sympathetically, scans his pass and waves him along.

The others go through without incident.

Even Terence.

Do I get my own seat? asks Terence.

Yes, says Katherine. I paid for it. 

Yay! says Terence. I don't have to go in a back pack!

Is that what you normally do? asks Nerida.

Sometimes, says Terence. And then I have to go in the overhead locker, and it's dark.

That must be terrible, says Nerida.

They are now shuffling onto the plane.

No, says Terence. DARK ISN'T TERRIBLE!

Why are you shouting? asks Katherine.

So that Greedy can hear me, says Terence.

Greedy isn't here, says Katherine. Is she?

Yes! says Terence. She's in the pencil box.

THE pencil box? asks Nerida.

Why didn't she look in the box?

You brought Greedy, says Katherine. And she's in a pencil box. Is it Gaius's pencil box?

Yes, says Terence.

What did you do with the pencils? asks Nerida.

Nothing, says Terence.

So they're still in there, asks Nerida.

They might be, says Terence.

Nerida looks worried.

Don't worry dear, says Katherine. We can always buy more pencils. And I have my trusty old pen.

Nerida looks a bit happier. And she is about to get more so.

She has a seat next to Arthur.

She sits down beside him.

Arthur is scratching dried scabs off his knee.


No comments: