Tuesday, March 26, 2024

We Have Proper Faces

Move sideways, says Arthur. 

Nerida moves sideways.

It's one of those jellyfish, says Arthur.

A poisonous one, says Speedy. 

Yikes, says Nerida. I've heard they can kill you.

You have up to two hours, says Speedy.

Nerida looks for the jellyfish. Has it floated away?

At best, says Speedy. Some people get symptons within minutes.

Come on, Arthur, says Nerida. We should get going.

You go, says Speedy. Arthur is staying.

Ow! says Arthur. I've been stung!

Arthur's not staying, says Nerida. He's coming with me.

Arthur has muscle cramps. 

So he says.

Hurry, says Nerida. You might only have minutes.

I'll be right behind you, says Speedy. 

No need, says Nerida. 

Sharks are Friendly, says Speedy.

Okay, says Nerida.

They all swim for the shore, including Arthur.

His muscle cramps are minor.

The irukandji jellyfish follows.

I see you, you little fucker, says Speedy. Fuck off.

I didn't do it, says the irukandji jellyfish.

Don't give me that, says Speedy.

It's not like I wanted to eat him, says the irukandji jellyfish.

I bet you didn't, says Speedy.

How come you care? asks the irukandji jellyfish.

He and his buddy set up our 'Sharks are Friendly' campaign, says Speedy. I was just asking him to show me the photos.

And don't tell me, he couldn't, says the irukandji jellyfish.

Well, no, says Speedy. That's why I'm following him to the shore. 

Not because Sharks are Friendly? says the irukandji jellyfish.

To have a look at his phone, says Speedy. He'll have left it on the beach somewhere. And if he's got a photo to show me, I'm off to tell Great White Teacher. Job done.

Hmm, says the irukandji jellyfish.

What does that mean? asks Speedy.

Just processing the information, says the irukandji jellyfish. Think it would work for us jellies?

No way, says Speedy. You guys kill people.

So do you guys, says the irukandji jelly.

But the difference is, we know how to look friendly, says Speedy. We have proper faces. You don't.

The irukandji jelly has to admit this is true.


No comments: