Thursday, March 21, 2024

I Put Me Here

Terence has run down to the sea.

He is not supposed to go in it.

But no one who knows that is there.

He steps into the water.

He can see Arthur swimming.

He waves. 

Arthur hasn't seen him.

Terence goes a bit further in.

It's actually fun. His feet are sinking.

A wave comes.

Arthur still hasn't seen him.

Terence's head is above water. 

In a minute surely Arthur will see him.

But Arthur does not.

Other beach-goers do.

Look, says someone. There's a statue half-submerged in the water!

I could have stubbed my toe on it, says someone else.

Who would have put it there? asks the first person.

Me, says Terence. I put me here. And soon I'll have vanished.

It's a real boy! says a kid. Not a statue.

I just look like a statue when I can't move my feet, says Terence.

Do you want us to help you out? asks the kid.

Yes, says Terence. 

One of the adults gets behind Terence, and yanks him upwards. Thwurp!

Yay! says Terence. I'm saved.

Who are you here with? asks the adult.

Him, says Terence, pointing out to sea where Arthur can be seen swimming.

If it is Arthur.

The swimmer who may or may not be Arthur, has stopped swimming.

Some splashing ensues. 

A fin circles the splashing.

That guy's in trouble! says the adult. There's a shark out there.

More splashing can be seen, at the shark site.

Waa! cries Terence. Save him! He has the credit cards!

The adults laugh. Credit cards! Then they stop laughing. It's not funny.

A life saving boat zooms out towards the splashing.

But by the time they get there, all is calm. 

No trace of the shark or the swimmer.

Meanwhile Arthur has swum back to where Terence is waiting.

Was that a SHARK? asks one of the adults.

It was, says Arthur. 

Looks like you were lucky, says the adult. And so was your statue boy. He was sinking.

I nearly vanished, says Terence.

Why were you in the water? asks Arthur.

Gaius called you. You've got the credit cards, says Terence. 

Have I? says Arthur. 

He zips open his pocket. 

Yes, he still has the credit cards. 

He really does live a charmed life. 


No comments: