Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Deep Red

Gaius picks up a piece of cauliflower popcorn.

How did your shopping go, Katherine? 

I didn't buy anything, says Katherine.

That's good, says Nerida. Self-discipline.

Me too, says Terence. I didn't buy anything.

I asked him if he'd like a new pair of shorts, says Katherine. But he prefers his old gecko shorts.

Are those geckoes? asks Nerida. You can't even tell.

Maybe they need a wash, says Terence.

They'd probably fall apart, says Katherine.

Then what? asks Terence.

You'd have to get new ones, says Katherine. Maybe I should have insisted.

Okay, says Terence. Let's go back.

Too late, says Katherine. I'm here now. I'm going to order a cocktail.

Which one? asks Nerida. 

Citrus Sunset sounds nice, says Katherine.

I wish I was old enough to drink cocktails, says Nerida.

Take me to the shops, says Terence.

We'll both go, says Arthur.

He waits for Katherine to offer him her credit card.

She does. 

Here Arthur, take my credit card. And buy yourself some new board shorts as well. 

Arthur, Nerida and Terence go off to the Surf Dive 'n Ski shop.

Whatever is this? asks Gaius, waving a cauliflower popcorn at Katherine.

She takes a bite.

Mm, says Katherine. Crunchy roasted cauliflower. Very tasty.

Where did Arthur go? asks Gaius, who up to now has been dividing his attention between examining the popcorn cauliflower and wiping grease off the stapler.

To buy some new board shorts, says Katherine. On me.

Very kind of you Katherine, says Gaius.

Katherine orders two Citrus Sunsets, one for her, one for Gaius.

Ginger beer, gin, triple sec, cranberry, lime. 

A deep red drink.

Gaius has to admit it's quite nice.


No comments: