Friday, March 1, 2024

Mother Of Nonsense

Next morning, Dad drops Nerida at Gaius's house.

Where's this chaperone? asks Dad. I ought to meet her.

She's meeting us at the airport, says Gaius. 

Where's Arthur? asks Nerida.

Ditto, says Gaius. Now you're here, I'll order a taxi.

No need, says Dad. I'll drop you.

Very kind, says Gaius. Perhaps Nerida would like to go through my checklist.

Okay, says Nerida. Where is it?

In my head, says Gaius. I'll list everything and you can tell me if I've left anything out.

Go on then, says Nerida.

Notes on the Kroombit Tinker Frog, says Gaius. Pencils, sharpener....

Stapler, says Nerida.

I was coming to that, says Gaius. 

Shouldn't she be checking if you've packed them? asks Dad.

Certainly, says Gaius. She can do that while I go and find Terence. He's out the back somewhere.

Who's this Terence? asks Dad.

I don't know, says Nerida. But we're sure to find out.

She opens Gaius's back pack.

Oh no. Underpants at the top.

She shoves them down to the bottom, under a pile of loose papers.

She feels about for pencils etcetera.

I don't think he's packed them yet, says Nerida.

She is looking for pencils when Terence runs in with a pencil box.

You must be Terence, says Dad.

I must be, says Terence. Guess what's in this box though?

Pencils, says Nerida. Put them in here.

No... begins Terence.

Nerida takes the box from him and packs it.

Everyone ready? asks Gaius.

Rightio, let's go, says Dad.

They climb into Dad's Hyundai and head to the airport.

At the airport, Dad parks the Hyundai, and they all get out.

Where is Arthur?

Not there, but Katherine is waiting.

Hello Gaius, says Katherine, hello Terence. And this must be Nerida.

That's me, says Nerida.

What a lot of lovely friendship bracelets, says Katherine.

Thanks, says Nerida. Would you like one? I can make you one. I brought all the things.

I would LOVE one! says Katherine.

I hear you're a philosopher, says Dad. 

Mother of, says Katherine. 

I suppose that's just as good, says Dad.

It's better, says Katherine. Less nonsense.

Dad likes that. 

Nerida has a kindly and sensible chaperone.

He says goodbye to his daughter, and heads off to work.


No comments: