Thursday, February 29, 2024

Elite Riders Don't Lie

On his way to work, it occurs to Nerida's dad that he may have signed the permission form prematurely.

What about this chaperone? She may not agree to the venture.

She may have other plans.

She may even be non-existent.

Get a grip, says dad to himself.  Elite bike riders don't lie.

How true.

Arthur is at this moment calling Katherine.

Arthur! says Katherine. What a pleasant surprise! Did you find the rest of the diamonds?

No, says Arthur. I stopped looking.

Don't you have to return them? asks Katherine.

No, says Arthur. I don't actually have to.

I see, says Katherine. Oh well, I'm glad the play's over, aren't you?

Yes, says Arthur. That's why I'm calling. Are you busy in the next week or so?

Not really, says Katherine. 

That's good, says Arthur. How would you like a trip to Kroombit Tops?

Isn't that where Gaius is going? asks Katherine.

Yes, says Arthur, and he could use some extra help.

Frogs, isn't it, says Katherine. Not my favourite creature. 

It's not the frogs he wants help with, says Arthur. It's his work experience girl. She's only fifteen.

And he needs me to go as a chaperone! says Katherine. Is he paying?

No, says Arthur. He was hoping you'd pay for yourself.

Are YOU going? asks Katherine.

Probably, says Arthur. 

I know you, says Katherine. You'll leave him high and dry at some point.

So the work experience girl will be useful, says Arthur.

As would I, says Katherine. Let me think about it. When is he leaving?

Tomorrow, says Arthur. I'm about to book tickets. Yes or no?

What's she like? Have you met her? asks Katherine.

She wears friendship bracelets, says Arthur.

How sweet, says Katherine. That means she's a Swiftie.

How did you know? asks Arthur.

I'm not SO old, says Katherine. And does she like frogs?

She knows one or two things about them, says Arthur.

She sounds quite intelligent, says Katherine. We should get on well together.

Does that mean it's a yes, asks Arthur.

Yes, says Katherine. I'm always up for adventure. Well, maybe not always....there was that time I went to Kangaroo Island with Margaret...

But Arthur has ended the call, not wanting to hear her old tales.


No comments: