Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Suspicious Dad

I guess frogs are pretty cool, says Nerida.

And you are? asks Gaius.

Nerida, says Nerida. Me and Arthur hooked up in the craft shop.

Temporarily, says Arthur. 

Of course, says Gaius. Arthur will henceforth be busy.

What doing? asks Arthur.

Booking our tickets, says Gaius. Making sure I have pencils.

Do you need a work experience person? asks Nerida. 

What is a work experience person? asks Gaius. 

A year nine kid who wants to try out a job to see if they like it. says Nerida. You get a week off school and all that.

No, he doesn't need one, says Arthur, seeing where this is going.

I could help with the pencils, says Nerida. 

That is only one task, says Gaius. Or two. A sharpener always comes in useful.

And a knife, says Arthur. In case of emergencies.

What about paper? asks Nerida.

I take good care of my notebooks, says Gaius.

But they sometimes get out of order, says Arthur. Remember how you lost the orange-bellied parrot illustration?

I know heaps about parrots, says Nerida. 

We are currently concerned about endangered frogs, not parrots, says Gaius. But yes, I do sometimes lose pages.

Maybe you should invest in a stapler, says Nerida.

There's a thought, says Gaius. Arthur, make sure we have pencils and stapler!

Arthur is coming round to the idea of Gaius having a work experience person.

He sees himself obtaining the tickets and seeing the two of them off.

Leaving him free to join them later, or not, or whatever.

I guess she'd be an asset, says Arthur. She thinks about staplers, and she likes frogs.

I'll ask my dad, says Nerida, getting her phone out, and speed-dialing her dad.

Where ARE you? asks her father.

At the Fringe, says Nerida. And I met these awesome guys. One's a poet and the other one's a frog expert, actually he's a parrot expert as well, but he's a bit careless and anyhow he needs a work experience person, and I offered  because I haven't found a placement yet and please dad can I ask him to fill in the forms?... What?.... Dad! ....How come you're always so suspicious....?


No comments: