Monday, February 12, 2024

The Light Will Kill Her

Can you talk yet? asks Terence.

Yes, says Greedy. Kobo has taught me.

Say something, says Terence. 

I just did, says Greedy.

Something else, says Terence. Say Good God sir!

No, says Greedy.

I should think not, says Kobo.

Those are Hedley's lines, says Greedy. I don't have any.

That is a pity, says Kobo. 

Plump hands don't talk, says Terence. They come out from under blankets for diamonds.

I see, says Kobo. But it wouldn't hurt to say thank you.

I'd like to say that, says Greedy.

Say it, says Terence.

Thank you, says Greedy. 

That was good acting, says Terence.

What's going on here? asks Gaius.

Greedy can talk without getting empty, says Terence. 

Excellent, says Gaius. And what did she say?

Thank you, says Greedy. But I could have said anything. 

Are there any other parts for Greedy? asks Kobo. It seems a pity to waste her new talent.

I don't think so, says Gaius. But wait. The nurse hasn't been cast yet.

What does the nurse say? asks Greedy.

Let me see, says Gaius. He turns back a few pages.

Be careful what you are doing! says Gaius. The light will kill her!

How thrilling! says Greedy.

What is the context? asks Kobo.

Candide goes to draw back the bed curtain, and the nurse stops him, says Gaius.

Then what? asks Kobo.

The nurse closes the curtains and draws out the plump hand.says Gaius.

Oh, but the plump hand is me! says Greedy. I can't see how I could do that.

Kobo can't see it either. Greedy would have to be both inside and outside the curtains.

I'm disappointed, says Greedy.

Why? asks Terence.

Because I can't be both sides of the curtains at once, says Greedy.

What if I play the plump hand? says Kobo. That would free you.

Perfect, dear Kobo! says Greedy.

Only Gaius is doubtful.


No comments: