Thursday, February 1, 2024

Fake And Greedy

Being seven is no excuse, says Vello. 

It's a hard word, says Hedley.

All you need is practice, says Vello.

Imag-ible, says Hedley.

Imaginable, says Iris. I-mag-in-a-ble.

I-mag-in-a-ble, says Hedley.

Very good, says Iris. And I'll show you a way to remember it. First of all, what does it mean?

In something? says Hedley.

Ha ha! laughs Terence, under the jersey.

Come out Terence, and try this hand, says Belle. It's closed up with a bin tie, so it should be all right. Let me know if it leaks.

Terence comes out.

In something! laughs Terence. 

It's not funny, says Hedley, I bet YOU don't know what it means.

It means you can eat it, says Terence. 

Imaginable doesn't mean you can eat it, says Iris. 

It's every crime! says Hedley. So how would you eat it?

Stop it you two, says Belle. Listen to Iris, she's going to help you remember the meaning.

Yes, says Iris. Imaginable means able to be imagined. Hence, imagine-ABLE. 

Every crime able to be imagined, says Hedley. Can I just say that?

Yes, says Vello. Just say that. That's solved that problem. Any others?

I need a texta, says Terence.

Easy, says Vello. grabbing one from his desk.

He does not ask why Terence needs it.

Terence starts to draw a face on his pink rubber glove.

Stop! says Hedley. Think about its expression.

I am, says Terence. It's going to be smiley.

I thought so, says Hedley. But it should suit the glove's character.

Fat and smiley, says Terence.

No, says Hedley, fake and greedy.

Okay, says Terence. Fake and greedy.

The rubber glove waits with trepidation.


No comments: