Sunday, February 18, 2024

His Blue Look

Next evening, at the Piglet.

Is everyone here? asks Vello.

Yes Hedley is here with his mother.

Terence has brought Greedy. 

Katherine holds Kobo in her black-gloved hand.

Kobo is practising her lines. Careful what you are doing etcetera.

Gaius and David are already in costume.

Arthur has the diamonds in a jar.

Belle appears in her beautiful dress.

Where's Sweezus? asks Vello.

Just coming, says Belle. There was a problem with his costume.

Too tight! says Vello. I knew it.

Iris is smaller, says Belle. Luckily I only tacked the alterations.

Sweezus arrives, in his Candide costume, trailing short lengths of cotton.

Big crowd out there! says Sweezus.

Is there? says Vello. Must be last minute punters.

Some of them are my friends, says Hedley's mother.

And some of them are teenage girls, says Sweezus. They stopped me and asked for free tickets. 

What did you tell them? asks Arthur.

I said I'd send Arthur, says Sweezus.

No free tickets! says Vello.

I know, says Arthur. I'll talk to them.

He goes out to the queue of people waiting outside.

Are you giving out free seeds this year? asks a woman.

Not this year, says Arthur. But someone famous may make an appearance.

Who is it? asks the woman. Costa?

You'll see, says Arthur. 

Where's our free tickets? asks the teenage girl who yesterday videoed Arthur taking the diamonds.

Are you sure you want to see this play? asks Arthur. 

No, says the girl. How good is it?

It's pretty intellectual, says Arthur. You need a literary background.

That sounds way too much like school, says the teenage girl.

Her friends are nodding. Come on guys, let's go.

Too bad for you, says the teenage girl to Arthur. Looks like I'll be posting that video.

Arthur gives her his blue look. 

Or you could give us something else, says the girl.

I'll give you a poem, says Arthur. Come back at the end of the show.

My own poem? says the girl. Are you a poet?

Was, says Arthur. Gave it up. But I'll do one for you.

Done, says the girl. Here, have this.

She gives him the friendship bracelet nearest her wrist.



No comments: