Sunday, February 25, 2024

Won't Ever Come Down

 I should have liked to show you the sunfish, says Arthur, the fish of gold...

I thought I was a swift in this poem, says Nerida.

SHOULD have, says Arthur. Meaning I couldn't, because you're a swift.

Poetry is heaps complex, says Nerida.

That's right, says Arthur. If it wasn't, it would be more like talking.

Was that the whole poem? asks Nerida.

No, says Arthur. I can always keep going.

Go on then, says Nerida. But go from the beginning, so I can record it.

Okay, says Arthur.

I should have liked to show you the sunfish of the blue wave, the fish of gold, the singing fish, says Arthur.

You didn't mention the blue wave the first time, says Nerida.

It's a work in progress, says Arthur.

Does it ever stop being about fish? asks Nerida. 

....but you, above the foam of flowers, drifting on the ineffable winds, continues Arthur.

Nice, says Nerida, because I'm a swift, so you can't show me the fish because I'm flying so high up and won't ever come down.

You preempted the ending, says Arthur.

Which is? asks Nerida.

....won't ever come down, says Arthur.

That's kind of abrupt, says Nerida, But I love it. Can I post it on Insta and Tik Tok?

All right, says Arthur, if you delete the video of me walking out of the craft shop with the diamonds.

Deal, says Nerida. You can watch me do it.

She does it. 

It's deleted.

Now Arthur expects her to go, but it seems she has nothing else to do, so she doesn't.


No comments: