Thursday, February 15, 2024

To Be Zen

Who opened the curtains? says Iris. I'm supposed to open them, not you.

Sorry, says Greedy.

Kobo retreats, thanks to Hedley's mother.

Iris comes forward and attempts to draw the bed curtains aside.

Now you, Kobo! says Vello.

Kobo wafts forward.

Careful what you are doing! The light will kill her! says Kobo.

Hedley's mother tries to make it appear that Kobo is closing the curtains.

Do it again, says Vello. That looked clumsy.

You try it, says Hedley's mother, handing Kobo to Vello.

Vello opens and then closes the curtains.

He has to agree, it's not easy without looking clumsy.

I think I've got it! says Hedley's mother. Give Kobo back to me.

Kobo tries to be Zen.

She is not used to such handling.

Hedley's mother closes the bed curtains with her left hand while holding Kobo somewhat higher, in her right, and moving Kobo in sync with the curtains.

Bravo, Hedley's mother! says Vello. That looked convincing. Continue!

My dear Cunégonde! gasps Iris, how are you, my darling?

She cannot speak, says Kobo.

I could, though, says Greedy. I could say something. 

No you couldn't says Vello. As soon as you spoke Candide would know you're an imposter.

I fear I've learnt to speak all for nothing, sniffs Greedy.

Don't sniff, dear, says Kobo. It interferes with your airflow. Remember, life extends beyond this frivolous play.

I suppose so, says Greedy.

Right, says Vello. Now Kobo draws the plump hand through the curtains, and Iris does her emoting.

Will she wet me? asks Greedy.

Depends how good she is at crying, says Vello.

I'll wet you a litte, says Iris. And then I'll shower you with diamonds. By the way do we have any diamonds?

It's a good question. What are the chances?


No comments: