Saturday, February 24, 2024

I Should Have Liked To Show You

Last but not least, says Vello, our invaluable stage hands!

More clapping.

Hedley's mother comes on, in the black hooded costume.

Katherine follows, holding Kobo.

Any more questions? asks Vello.

Yes, says someone. Are you giving out free seeds?

Not this year, says Vello. 

And we heard there was going to be an appearance of someone famous, says a woman.

Several of us fit that category, says Vello. You may not be aware, but the abbé was played by Gaius Plinius Secundus, the well known natural historian.

Gaius looks embarrassed.

What happened to Costa? asks another person.

You'll have to ask Arthur, says Vello.

He looks around for Arthur, but Arthur has gone off.

He is round the back of the Piglet, with the half  jar of diamonds, waiting for his young teenage friend.

Here she is, wearing her bracelets.

I never told you my name, says the teenager.

Too late now, says Arthur.

It's ...why? asks the teenager.

I gave you a name, says Arthur. Ariel.

Fuck that, says Ariel. My name's Nerida.

Told you it was too late, says Arthur.

But not why, says Nerida.

Because of the poem, says Arthur. 

O yay! says Nerida. You've actually done it?

I was doing it, says Arthur. But I'm in charge of the diamonds as well. And things went pear-shaped, thanks to a certain cast member who threw them at the audience, and we didn't get half of them back.

Shit, you're screwed now, says Nerida.

Not necessarily, says Arthur. I just won't return them.

So did you finish my poem? asks Nerida.

As far as, says Arthur. And I called you Ariel.

Cos why? asks Nerida.

The bracelet you gave me, says Arthur. The letters on the beads. I guessed you loved birds.

Birds, says Nerida. On the bracelet? Which one did I give you?

This one, says Arthur, showing her the one that she gave him.

That's not a BIRD, says Nerida. That's Tay-Tay's last name .

A swift is a bird, says Arthur. It spends most of its life in the air. It even sleeps flying. 

Cool, says Nerida. Tell it to me.

Arthur has only come up with one line so far: Ariel I should have liked to show you....

 He will need to think quick.

No comments: