Friday, February 2, 2024

Good God Sir!

Hedley goes back to practising his lines.

Good God sir! 

(he likes saying that).

Terence starts drawing a face on his pink rubber glove.

Fake and greedy. What would that look like?

What are you up to? asks Gaius.

Drawing a face on my hand, says Terence. 

Why does it need a face? asks Gaius.

Becuse it's a character, says Terence.

But a hand is not a complete character, says Gaius.

It's the part that sticks out, says Terence. Hedley says it should look fake and greedy.

He is an intelligent child, says Gaius. I wonder if he knows how to plait ribbons.

He doesn't, says Terence.

I'm having trouble with this garter, says Gaius.

I'm having trouble with this face, says Terence.

I suggest you ask Vello, says Gaius. He may not want the rubber glove to have its own face.

That's why I'm not asking him, says Terence. 

Good point, says Gaius. And it might inject some unexpected humour. 

What does a fake greedy face look like? asks Terence.

Large eyes, with long eyelashes, and a mouth that is open, says Gaius.

Yay! says Terence. I knew you would know.

He draws big eyes with long eyelashes on his pink rubber glove, and a wide open mouth.

Very nice, says Gaius. A deceptive hand, waiting to be showered with diamonds.

Have you finished plaiting my garter? asks Belle.

Not yet, says Gaius. I'm not sure how to do it.

Three strands, one side to middle, other side to middle, and repeat, says Belle.

I'll try that, says Gaius.

Hedley comes over to look at the face.

Good God sir! says Hedley.

HEDLEY! says his mother, who has arrived ten minutes early. You must not say things like that!


No comments: