Friday, August 7, 2009

Part 2 : My Life in Fish

This is a review of my life so far as it relates to fish.

Fish have been a part of my life since I was very small. My parents lived with my grandparents when I was a baby, and every day my grandmother went to the fishmongers to buy me a piece of fish for my lunch. It was usually plaice. This is how I learned complaicency.

At that time too I swallowed a teaspoon of codliver oil every day with my orange juice. This is how I learned to be a good girl.

The next fish I had were living in a bowl. There were nine of them and they were a Christmas present. I was nine years old. The weather was very hot and by Boxing Day morning they were all dead. Thus I learned that looking after pets is not always time consuming.

In the nineties I had a daughter who was not allowed to have a dog. What CAN I have? she asked. You can have fish in a bowl, I said. We buy an aquarium, and 9 tiny fish which she names Bob, plus a pouty goldfish called Gwendolyn. Now I am about to learn a big lesson. The lesson is, that I will be responsible for the feeding of the fish and the cleaning of the aquarium until the day the last one dies. As it turns out the last one is killed, and by me. This is when I learn I have inner steel.

Once a few years ago I went fishing on Loch Awe. I caught 2 brown trout that afternoon, to the astonishment of all. Loch Awe is now named Loch Awe after me.

No comments: