Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Part 6 : My Life Without Me

What would my life have been like if my parents hadn't emigrated? Perhaps every child in similar circumstances wonders this.

The other me ( let me call her Heather, which was the name they didn't give me ), may well have died of whooping cough. I caught it every year which was why they decided to move to a warmer climate.

Assuming Heather hadn't died, what next? She wouldn't have had the pleasure of learning this poem, composed ex tempore by her dad:

This New Years Day of fifty five
We're certainly glad to be alive.
We'll pack our bags at the end of May
And go on board the Oronsay.
This biggest, newest, fastest ship
Will take us on a lovely trip
Across the ocean far and wide,
And deposit us in Adel-ide.

Yes, you must pronounce Adelaide wrongly for it to rhyme, and this is what makes it so delicious. To have learned this poetic lesson at the age of five is a privilege Heather will never know.

Heather grew up to be a studious girl and went to Oxford University. Later she became someone who was interested in art history. She worked at the British Museum painstakingly restoring various items, and sometimes at the National Portrait Gallery doing this and that. She was also very talented and produced many delicate and much admired etchings.

As to her personal life I've never thought about it. Thinking about it now I'm thinking : If she had three children they would be half like my three children. I don't like this thought. Nor do I like Heather, very much.

She has had one more summer in her life than me. This is because I left England at the end of May and arrived in Adel-ide in June. The more I think about this the crosser I get.

That's all.

No comments: