Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Samphire Part 3

Samphire, said Pliny the Elder. I know it well. It is also known as batis, and crithmum. The name samphire is an English mispronunciation of l'herbe de Saint Pierre. It was the herb that Hecate fed to Theseus before he faced the Minotaur.

Golly, I said. What's in it?

I believe it is high in vitamins A and C, also iodine, calcium, bromine, iron and trace minerals.

So it really is good for you. How come I never heard of it before?

Perhaps you have, it goes under many names. Sea asparagus, salicornia, glasswort, sea beans, chicken claws, rock fennel, sea fennel, beachwort, pickleweed, turtleweed, saimbhir ( in Gaelic) marine cress, herbe-a-crabes, and reef banana, to name a few.

No I haven't. Reef banana! I thought it was meant to be salty.

There is no accounting for taste. However I have heard that the Seri use it in Mexico to sweeten their coffee.

Astonishing, Pliny! What else do people use it for?

Besides eating it, you mean? It is used as a treatment for goitre, syphilis, ulcers, psoriasis, asthma, menstrual pain, constipation, rheumatism and gout. It is a good source of soda and can be used to make soap. The soap is called lye soap, and may easily take off your skin as well as the dirt. A cholesterol-free oil can be obtained from the seeds, and a protein rich flour from the meal, Dried, it makes good animal fodder, and it can also be converted to particle board or pressed into logs for the fire.

I can't believe I never knew.

Where did you say you found it?

Port Noarlunga.

You should have brought some home.

Oh no, it's bound to be protected.

No comments: