Friday, August 13, 2010

Lucky!

It was Friday the thirteenth. I didn't even think about it being unlucky. That was lucky.

I walked in to the city, forgetting that Chapel Street was blocked by roadworks. That was unlucky. I was about to backtrack, when I saw there was a pathway for pedestrians. That was lucky. Passing the diggings, I remembered I once wanted to be an archaeologist. There was nothing much to see though, but a broken pipe. It made me think I wouldn't want to be an archaeologist in Kent Town.

Mum and I circled the entire food hall and couldn't decide what to eat. Time was passing so we went to Michel's Patisserie, because it was the nearest. I ordered a vegetable pasty and she ordered a cheese and bacon triangle. Mine looked very ordinary on the outside. When I cut it open out popped two big green peas. You've no idea how much that made a difference.

During the Lunch Hour Concert, as the pianist played a soft poetic moving Fantasie of Schumann, a lady's mobile phone rang loudly. It rang four times before she found it in the bottom of her handbag. By then the pianist had stopped playing and the room was full of very bad vibrations. That was unlucky. At least it wasn't my phone, I always switch it off before the concert. No one calls me on it, anyway, at lunchtime.

Before dinner I went into the lounge to close the curtains. Above the curtain track I saw a huge Huntsman spider on the wall. I stared at him for ages wondering what to do. There's a spare bed in the lounge and you wouldn't want a Huntsman on the loose if you were in it. I whacked it hard with the head of a broom. Instead of falling to the floor and running at the speed of light to a hiding place from which to plot revenge, it dropped down dead immediately, and formed a tiny ball. I whacked it many times until its legs fell off.

No comments: