Thursday, August 19, 2010

Winking

Pliny the Elder came into the kitchen and sneezed.

Bless you, I said. How did you go last night? I bet you were cold. Did you spot any Barking Owls?

I was unimaginably cold, said Pliny, and wet through, since it hardly stopped raining all night. But my expedition was well worth the trouble. Take a look at this!

He pressed several buttons and held out my camera.

Look at the screen, he said.

What is it? I asked. It looks like a round metal washer.

Look again, said Pliny. It is the eye of a Barking Owl.

Why is there only one of them?

Also known as the Winking Owl, said Pliny.

I'm impressed, I said. Did you hear it scream?

No, it would seem that the screaming is rare. But I did hear a great deal of barking.

You must be very encouraged, Pliny, I said.

Aaaa-choo ! Bless me! Indeed I am. I plan to return to the hills tomorrow to search for the Restless Flycatcher, also known as the Scissors Grinder. I believe it can be easily identified by the 'zeeep' of its contact call, and the grinding churring sound it makes when hunting. It looks something like a Willy Wagtail, except that its throat is white instead of black.

Oh, I said. So you won't be coming with us to help hand out How to Vote cards for the Labor Party in Sturt and Makin?

Unfortunately not, said Pliny. And in any case, I thought you knew I was a Green.

No comments: