Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What You Learn - Part one

Today I caught the bus into town. It is interesting what you learn on a bus.

The bus was pretty full. I had to perch on a high narrow seat behind the driver, next to a woman who was reading a magazine.

A few seats back was a very fat man, who I've seen on the bus before. He looks like a big brown balloon, or walnut, and every so often shouts WaahaY!!

The bus radio was playing Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. That alone was a good reason not to have caught the bus. Then it got to the bit that goes oh- oh- oh- OH -oh- OH- oh- oh- oh- OH- oh- oh- oh- oh. I'm sorry that I can't really give you a proper impression of the notes. If I had a pencil and paper, I could, and if you could see the paper. Actually that isn't true, as I can't write music down convincingly. But I'm sure you remember the part.

So, what was I saying? Oh yes. Well I'm sitting behind the driver, right? But he can't see me, there's a barrier between him and me. And the woman next to me is reading a magazine. And Mr Walnut is keeping quiet after a big WaahaY! And I realise my eyebrows are going up and down in time to Billy Joel. Or it might even be the entire top of my head that's doing it. And I'm thinking, waaahay! it's amazing what you learn about yourself on a bus.

No comments: