Saturday, August 28, 2010

What You Don't Know

We had breakfast at the West Beach Surf Life Saving Club yesterday morning. I ordered muesli with banana.

Ten minutes later a girl came up to our table with a piece of paper. I'm sorry, she said, but we don't have any bananas. Would you like yogurt or berries instead?

I'd like berries, I said.

The berries were mixed, and red. My breakfast looked so beautiful I took a photograph. But when I got home the photograph was out of focus.

After our breakfast we went to the Broadway Kiosk for a cup of tea. I took some more photos in there. My favourite is looking out through the glass door towards Glenelg. I came so close to uploading it here for you to see. But I didn't know how. Correction, I knew how, but I couldn't locate the photo.

The reason I like it is this. There is a man standing outside with his arms folded, and his head turned so that he's looking directly at the toilets. He looks rather pained and disbelieving. So the photo reminds me of my experience in the toilets, a few minutes before the photo was taken, although it had nothing to do with the man.

These are automatic toilets. You press a button, the door opens, you go in, you press a button, the door closes, and a voice says YOU HAVE TEN MINUTES TO COMPLETE YOUR MISSION, then music begins to play. I won't tell you the whole story. Everything works with buttons, that's all. And some of them are in the wrong place. And if you don't complete your mission in the correct order, the toilet won't flush. Maybe they won't even let you out.

That's what you don't know.

No comments: