Monday, November 29, 2010

The Green Bean Flour Pastry Joke

Well well, said Pliny the Elder. Now we know all about lobsters.

Not all about lobsters, I said.

What don't we know? asked Pliny

We don't know why the Chinese have stopped buying our lobsters, I replied. Did you hear it on the news?

I did, said Pliny. It is a mystery. I have a theory, he added.

What is it? I asked.

They want us to eat our own lobsters, said Pliny

That would be nice, I said, speaking of which...

Yes? enquired Pliny

My Chinese friend Li Feng gave me the weirdest morning tea this morning.

Lobster? asked Pliny.

No, not lobster.

Then why did you say speaking of which?

Because she's Chinese and she wanted me to eat something .

What was it?

She said it was green bean flour pastry.

And what was it?

It was a bowl of warmed up chunks of transparent cooked flour and water, cut into strips and served with soy sauce and spring onions.

Hmm, said Pliny. Did you eat it?

Yes, I ate it and said it was nice. I asked her how she made it. Easy, she said. I wasn't surprised. Add green bean flour and water and boil it, she told me. Then, leave it on a plate to get.....

Hard, I said, chewing valiantly.

Hard, she repeated. Then you cut in pieces. Some of them I make.....

Long and thin, I said.

Long and thin, she repeated, and some of them short and.....

Wide, I said helpfully. It was going well, I risked a joke.

But they taste the same, I said.

No comments: