Sunday, November 7, 2010

Webbers at the Beach

Virginia: RAT DIV-A, welcome back to Artscape.

Me : Thanks Virginia, it's very nice to be back.

Virginia: I want to talk about your video "Webbers at the Beach". This marked a turning point for you in a way. Would you like to talk us through it?

Me: Do you mean it was a turning point because it was longer?

Virginia: Yes. Why was it longer?

Me: You might be surprised to know it was by accident. I was at the beach with my family and I noticed that the sea and sky were both remarkable shades of blue. I decided to make a three-second video by pointing my camera at the sea and pressing record.

Virginia: But you weren't sure you were actually recording anything, were you?

Me; No, I wasn't. I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see the little recording icon. I had to guess. So I pointed the camera at a wave for what I thought was about three seconds, then I walked over to my daughter and said......

Virginia: You said, " Does that look like the video camera one to you?" And your daughter answered "Yes".

Me: I'm flattered you remember.

Virginia: How could I forget? And as we hear these words we see your husband's legs walk rapidly towards the water, then we swing over the sand to your daughter's shoe, followed by a quick upswing to a purple sky with a vertical streak of sunglare, and end on a one second shot of your husband standing in a purple sea.

Me: Yes and it was all quite unplanned after the first three seconds. It went on for a full fourteen seconds. I had no idea it was still recording. You see I was under the impression that my camera would only record for three seconds. And I still don't know why it stopped at fourteen.

Virginia: That's what makes it so priceless of course. Well, what's next for RAT DIV-A ? Are you planning a new video?

Me: Well you know, I have to be wary of plans. I really need to guard against, for example, learning how the record button on my camera actually works. The more often I use it the more I inadvertently learn. But naturally, I do try very hard not to absorb anything.

Virginia: Well, RAT DIV-A, good luck with that. I'm sure you have no need to worry. Thank you for sharing your insights with us, and we look forward to seeing a lot more of your wonderful work in the future.

Me: Thanks Virginia,

No comments: