Friday, March 15, 2013

A Degree Of Circularity

David and Vello are having a drink in the front bar of the Austral after the show.

Stuart Black comes out with Sol Chico Cemento, and drops him on the table next to David.

Thanks, says David. Kind of you to return it. Did it say anything to you, by the way?

It granted me a wish, says Stuart Black.

Did the wish come true? says Vello.

No, says Stuart. It didn't.

Not yet, says Sol Chico Cemento.

Remarkable, says David. See Vello, this is the little trinket mother gave me.

Vello takes a closer look.

Do I remind you of anyone? asks Sol Chico Cemento.

Yes, says Vello. You remind me very much of Stuart Black.

That means you'd like to ask Stuart a question, says Sol Chico Cemento.

I already have, says Vello.

But did you get an answer? asks Sol Chico Cemento.

Yes, says Vello. What are you getting at exactly?

You have to come up with the answer. That's how I work, says Sol Chico Cemento.

I got an answer, says Vello. What I don't know is the question.

Aha! says Sol Chico Cemento. What do you think it is, the question?

Well, why don't I ask Stuart? says Vello.

No, see if you can guess, says David, who is impressed with Sol Chico Cemento.

For goodness sake! says Vello. Can I have a clue?

A clue? says Sol Chico Cemento. I don't normally give clues. Would you like to make a wish?

Ah, says Vello. Thank you for the clue. The question must be what did Stuart wish for.

And what did Stuart wish for? says Sol Chico Cemento.

Why don't I ask him? says Vello. Stuart...?

It's personal, says Stuart. Goodbye, you chaps, I'm off.

He leaves.

What did he wish for? says David, to Sol Chico Cemento.

Who do I remind you of? says Sol Chico Cemento.

David is beginning to find in his little trinket an annoying degree of circularity.

He wonders if it came with any instructions.

If only mother were here, says David.

Correct! says Sol Chico Cemento.



No comments: