Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Responsibilities Of A Father

Ray gets out the plates. They eat the fish and then they eat the chocolate.

That was good, Ray, says Rossco. All that chocolate. How come you had so much?

Bunny, says Ray Moon, sadly.

No need to rub it in, says Sweezus.

I mean Bunny, says Ray. I bought it all for Bunny.

But Bunny isn't here, says Sweezus.

No, you ate it, says Gastro, nodding sagely.

Shut up, Gastro, says Rossco. You mean your daughter, Ray?

Yes, sighs Ray. My daughter Bunny. I buy her a golden chocolate bunny every Easter. A bunny for my Bunny.

That's lame, says Arthur. Does that make up for locking her in her bedroom?

Ray! says Rossco. Don't tell me you do that?

A father has responsibilities, says Ray.

Too right, says Gastro.

There is a moment's silence, while the others measure their own father against Ray.

If there's any more chocolate, says Sweezus, we could take some back for Bunny.

Would you do that? says Ray. I'll have a look.

Yeah, says Sweezus. We're going back tomorrow.

Ray looks inside his fridge, and finds a Humpty Dumpty egg that has been missed.

He hands the egg to Arthur.

I trust you more than I trust him, says Ray. Give this to Bunny. Tell her it's from her dad.

Alright, says Arthur, forcing the awkward package into the pocket of his shorts. I'll do it.

Thanks, says Ray. I'll put the kettle on. You all might as well stay over. It'll soon be morning.




No comments: