Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Holy Passenger

Saint Nicholas Island is small. Arthur and Bunny go ashore to explore.

The bones of Saint Nicholas are said to be interred in the rocks, reads Arthur, from the book that he took from the reading room.

Is it THE Saint Nicholas? asks Bunny. I didn't know he was Turkish.

Nor did I, says Arthur. Alright, shall we go?

An old man appears from behind an ancient stone ruin. He is frowning.

Not Turkish, Greek, says the man. I am Nikolaos, Bishop of Myra.

Bunny turns around  to look at the old man, who is wearing robes and a halo.

Arthur! says Bunny. It's HIM! It's Saint Nicholas.

Go away, says Saint Nicholas. This is my solitary island. Unless you've brought food.

No we haven't brought food, says Bunny. What do you normally eat?

I like apricots, says Saint Nicholas. Australian ones are the best.

Wow! Are they? says Bunny. My dad always used to buy Turkish.

You're Australian, says Saint Nicholas. I remember the accent.

Yeah, says Bunny. I'm from New South Wales.

Never been there, says Saint Nicholas. Been to Adelaide. I have a friend there. Professor Freud.

I know him, says Bunny. We were at Middleton together.

Paintball? asks Saint Nicholas.

Stick insects, says Arthur. And the Miracle Tent.

Well, well, says Saint Nicholas. Come in you two. We must have a chat about our mutual friend.

Come in? says Bunny. Come in where?

Come around then, says Saint Nicholas. No need to split hairs.

You live in a ruin, says Bunny. Poor you.

Oh, says Saint Nicholas, who needs a roof.......?

......when you have a halo, says Arthur.

Smart lad, says Saint Nicholas. Do sit down.

They all sit down on flat rocks. It is almost dark. There are streaks of red cloud in the sky.

Saint Nicholas looks reflective.

The Ripple and Swirl....he says. Freud treated us all to ice creams. And the twins, what were their names, Emma and Irma?

I know the twins, says Arthur. I met them in Alice Springs.

Small world, says Saint Nicholas. Where are you two off to? Is that your boat?

Back to Kas, says Bunny, and it isn't our boat. We just kind of took it.

That's a serious crime, says Saint Nicholas. I suggest you return it at once.

We're returning it to Kas, says Arthur. That's where it came from. The owners are...mathematicians.

Saint Nicholas looks stern. His halo gleams brightly.

Mathematicians or not, says Saint Nicholas. You will get into trouble.

We never get into trouble, says Bunny.

Nevertheless, says Saint Nicholas. My specialty is miraculously whisking young persons from one place to another, as no doubt you have heard.

Neither Arthur nor Bunny have heard.

Here's what I'll do, says Saint Nicholas. Leave the boat here. I'll whisk you back to Kas. But only one at a time. I mustn't overdo it.

Thanks for the offer, says Arthur. But we have to stay together. Would you like to come with us?

I would! says Saint Nicholas. I'll just take a minute to pack.


No comments: