Wednesday, June 19, 2013

She Thought She Would Die

Lavender is in the dark underground hole. She can't see a thing.

Approach! says a horrible voice. It is Pluto.

Can't, says Lavender. I mean....I can not.

Why did you change can't to can not? asks Pluto.

I regretted my grammar, says Lavender. You seem important.

I am very important, says Pluto. What are you? And where is my wife? I thought I saw her come in.

No, that was Bunny, says Lavender. Who are you? Are you Mister Pluto?

I am the God of the Underworld, says Pluto. My name is Pluto, not Mister Pluto.

Then, says Lavender, everyone knows your wife is away for the summer.

What's the date? asks Pluto. Time gets away from me here.

June, says Lavender. The middle of June. Or just after......

I miss her, says Pluto. My beautiful wifey. Who was Bunny, and why did she go?

She thought she would die, says Lavender. And she nearly did die. She was coughing. It's stinky down here.

No it isn't , says Pluto. That's just near the entrance. Inside I have proper ventilation. Approach! There's no danger.

I can not, says Lavender. I'm sorry.

Why not? asks Pluto.

Because I'm tied up, says Lavender. Otherwise I could come further in and ......tell you the future.

Tell me the future! roars Pluto. You insult me!  Come closer and say that again.

Lavender tugs at the bandage. Nothing happens.

Pluto stands up. He moves forward heavily. The earth trembles.

Tell you the future! squeaks Lavender, saying it again.

She is picked up summarily and flung out through the Portal, landing hard in the rubble beside Gaius.



No comments: