Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Sleep Of The Innocent

Everyone knows that Nikolaos can't whisk the boat back.

They sail into the harbour in Kas. It is late but the bars are still open.

They go into a bar, order drinks, and cuttlefish stew.

Nikolaos goes into the toilet.

He's so weird, says Bunny. How are we going to get rid of him?

I don't know, says Arthur. Send him up to Gaius. They'd get on well.

Yeah, says Bunny. Two weird old guys.

Nikolaos comes back.

Where are we staying? he asks.

We're staying in a hotel, says Bunny. But...

You can sleep on the boat, says Arthur. But first, eat your cuttlefish stew.

My stew, says Nikolaos. Yes. Now what was I thinking in there?......I know! When is your Giant Cuttlefish due?

At the end of the week, says Bunny. He's coming by courier. Unless he turns out to have died. That'll save me some money.

Save us some money, says Arthur.

Yes, save us some money, says Bunny.

Money I could use for a bike, says Arthur.

You don't need a bike, says Bunny.

You want a bike? asks Nikolaos. I can get you a bike. What colour bike would you like?

Irrelevant, says Arthur. I need one I can ride in the Tour.

Arthur, says Bunny. You're not thinking of going in the Tour?

Yes I am, says Arthur. I was in it last year.

But we're on holiday, says Bunny.

You want him to stay? asks Nikolaos.

Stop interfering, says Bunny.

Nikolaos stops interfering. He finishes his stew, picks up his hessian sack, and walks out of the bar, heading down to the harbour.

He intends to sleep the sleep of the innocent, on the deck of the stolen gulet.



No comments: