Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pressure To Perform

Saint Nicholas ducks behind a crumbling stone structure, and emerges seconds later looking different.

He wears fisherman's clothes, and seems to have dispensed with the halo.

He carries a hessian sack.

Call me Nikolaos, says Saint Nicholas. And now, let's be off.

It's dark, says Bunny. perhaps we should wait until dawn.

No, says Arthur.

No, says Nikolaos. You will be fine with me.

They go down to the shore, board their small wooden vessel, and sail off in the direction of Kas.

Tell me what brings you to Turkey, says Nikolaos.

A cuttlefish, says Bunny. Do you think that sounds funny?

Not at all, says Nikolaos. There are many cuttlefish here.

This one is a Great Australian Cuttlefish, says Bunny. And he's currently stuck in Dubai.

I could whisk him here in a flash, says Nikolaos. Would that help?

What is this about whisking? says Arthur. A special talent you have?

I'm surprised you don't know, says Nikolaos. I am a protector of children. I whisk them away out of slavery and back to their mothers.

Obviously not all of them, says Arthur.

No, not all of them says Nikolaos. Miracles don't work like that.

That's true, says Bunny, remembering Lourdes.

What's in the sack? asks Arthur.

Gold coins, says Nikolaos. That's another thing I do.

He leans back against the railing, and nods off like an old man.

Why'd you ask him? whispers Bunny. Did you know about that?

No, says Arthur. That's not why I asked him. I thought he might have some food.

You knew he didn't have food, says Bunny. Remember he asked us if we had any? You shouldn't have asked him.

Did someone say food? says Nikolaos, waking up suddenly.

No, says Arthur. But we'll be in Kas soon. You can eat something there before you take the boat back.

I'm not taking the boat back, says Nikolaos. Is that why you asked me along?

Yes, says Arthur. But it doesn't matter, if you don't want to. I suppose you can just whisk it back.

Nikolaos looks alarmed momentarily.

Yes of course, says Nikolaos. Yes, I can do that.


No comments: