Saturday, June 22, 2013

Team Provenance

Arthur's plan is quite simple.

He goes back to where Nikolaos is drying himself off, and talking to Gaius.

These are yours, Nikolaos, says Arthur, handing him the gold coins.

Why thank you! says Nikolaos. Didn't realise I'd lost them. Where were they?

On the boat, says Arthur. You must have dropped them.

He looks at Nikolaos expectantly.

Nikolaos remembers himself.

Oh yes, says Nikolaos. Of course, you must keep them.

Not those ones, says Arthur. Can I have two from your sack?

What difference will that make? asks Gaius.

All the difference, says Arthur. Those two were found artifacts. I'm supposed to hand them in.

Well I never, says Gaius. Does Nikolaos have to hand his coins in?

Ho! I certainly hope not! says Nikolaos. They are mine and have always been mine. Here you are, Arthur. Have three.

Thank you , says Arthur. Can I have a receipt?

Wise boy, says Nikolaos. Gaius, do you have a pen?

Gaius only has a pencil.

They go back to the others, to borrow a pen.

Professor D'Andria has one. Nikolaos writes out the receipt.

Provenance is everything, says Professor D'Andria, approvingly. You have a smart head on your shoulders young man. What will you do with your coins?

Buy a bicycle, says Arthur, and ride across Europe to France.

The Tour starts in Corsica, says Katherine.You must fly there like everyone else.

Yes, says Gaius. Our team must stick together. That's one thing I learned from last year. Right then, we need to book tickets. Bunny, you're good at that sort of thing. Will you do it?

Tickets? says Bunny. Book them yourself.

What's wrong, Bunny dear? asks Katherine. Surely you're going as well?

No one asked me, says Bunny. And Arthur is going . And I'm a better rider than him.

So you are, says Gaius. Bunny, will you be our fourth rider?

Bunny thinks about how it will be, in a team with Gaius, Nikolaos and Arthur. But she does not let that put her off.

Yes, says Bunny. I will, and thank you, Gaius,  for asking. I'll sort out a late registration and organise the tickets. What's our team called?

I hadn't thought, says Gaius. What do you think, Arthur? You're a words man.

Team Provenance, says Arthur.

Bunny likes it. She thinks it sounds lucky.

No comments: