Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How To Stop Being A Girl

Team Provenance is flying to Corsica. Arthur and Bunny are leaning over their seats talking to Gaius and Niko, who are seated behind them. They are having a meeting.  Ageless has not been invited, as he is not part of the team.

We'll need bikes, says Gaius.  I assume you can buy them in Corsica.

Oh yes, surely, says Niko. And if not, I can always get bikes. But perhaps not the best ones.....

Another thing, says Bunny. I'm a girl. How do we get around that?

Change your name, says Arthur. That's what I'd do.

Cool, says Bunny. What name shall I have? Let me think.

How about Unni? says Ageless, from under the seat.

Unni? says Bunny. How did you come up with that? I quite like it. It sounds kind of European. What do you think Arthur?

Yes, says Arthur. It sounds European. Unni. Androgynous. No one will guess.

Niko isn't so sure. He has known many names in his job as a bishop, and never a boy's name of Unni.

He shrugs. Never mind. It will do. Time is short.

Anything else? says Gaius. The dinner trolley is approaching.

Outfits, says Ageless from under the seat. What are we wearing?

We? says Gaius. Ageless, you are not in the team.

I am, says Ageless. Because if I'm not, I shall spill the beans about Unni.

You can be the team runner, says Gaius. You can organise sports drinks and snacks.

We'll see about that, says Ageless. I accept, but conditionally. If I get a better offer, I'll take it. Team Philosophe might be short now they haven't got Arthur.

Arthur stiffens. Team Philosophe! He would rather be riding for them. His old team, with his brother in arms, Sweezus. Perhaps he could swap places with Ageless.....

Arthur says nothing. He is thinking, but not about outfits.

The dinner trolley arrives.

He and Unni turn round and sit down.


No comments: