Friday, November 8, 2013

The Chinese Leonardo da Vinci

The Forbidden City was built around 600 years ago and contains 980 buildings and 8886 rooms.

Head for that tower in the corner, says Sikong Shu.

Arthur and Richie head for the tower. This is like being at school.

See this tower, says Sikong Shu. At one time it was pulled down in order to be reconstructed. But the workmen couldn't put it back together. Only Lu Ban had the skill to do it.

But you said he was born in 570 BC, says Arthur.

Sikong Shu taps his nose.

Carpenter immortal, says Sikong Shu.

Lu Ban looks smug.

Lu Ban invented the ruler, dividers, the ink marker.....says Sikong Shu, and..... what else, Lu Ban?

I invented the saw, after cutting my finger on grass. But my best invention was the Flying Wooden Bird, says Lu Ban. There is a very funny story about that.

Neither Richie nor Arthur take the bait.

Don't you want to know what it is? says Sikong Shu.

No, they don't want to know what it is.

Lu Ban's brow darkens. He is not used to such incivility.

A group of tourists push by with their guide. The guide recognises Lu Ban.

Stop everyone! claps the guide. We are fortunate to have met Lu Ban, carpenter immortal!

Lu Ban's brow clears. This is right.

I was about to tell a very funny story, says Lu Ban. About my Flying Wooden Bird invention.

What a treat, says the guide. Gather round, people.

Lu Ban begins.

I was working on a pagoda in Liangzhou. I had at that time invented a Flying Wooden Bird that could remain airborne for up to three days. I used to fly home to Dunhuang secretly to visit my wife.

Is she the one who invented the umbrella? calls one of the party.

Yes, she's the one, says Lu Ban. But to get on with the story. My wife became pregnant, and my parents were filled with shame because they thought I had not lately been home. It was only when my wife explained about the Flying Wooden Bird that the mystery was cleared up to everyone's satisfaction.

There are a few polite titters of laughter.

Then someone cries out with excitement: Hey! Are you Richie Porte?

The tourists gather round Richie.

Lu Ban looks for means of escape.

..........

Lu Ban sits on a low carved stone wall, looking gloomy.

Sikong Shu sits by his side.

It's no fun being immortal, says Lu Ban. What seemed amusing once is no longer amusing.

That's why I try to keep up with the times, says Sikong Shu. I found work as a spy.... I mean guide. It's how I met Arthur.

And the other one? says Lu Ban. The cyclist who's stealing my thunder?

Richie Porte, says Sikong Shu. He's just tagging along. He's learning the stream of consciousness method or writing. He's improving.

Is that so? says Lu Ban thoughtfully. Even a currently famous person is in the process of reinventing himself. Perhaps there is something in that.........

Lu Ban, carpenter immortal, military thinker, inventor, and philosopher, makes a decision to buy himself a bicycle.


No comments: