Friday, November 29, 2013

Killing Time On The Wallaroo Jetty

Gaius, Sweezus and Arthur are in Wallaroo. It is sunny.

Let's go and look at the jetty, says Arthur. See if it's open.

I'll leave you to it, says Gaius. I must visit the Mayor and present my report.

Gaius heads off in the direction of the Council Chambers.

His report? says Sweezus. We wrote it.

We wrote it? says Arthur. I wrote it. But I'm happy if he takes the blame.

Blame? says Sweezus. You mean credit.

Thing is, says Arthur, when I wrote it, I didn't know I'd be coming.

Don't tell me... says Sweezus. You wrote something .....a bit too.....

......truthful, says Arthur.

We're in trouble, says Sweezus.

We could cobble up something, says Arthur. An alternative version.

Too late now, says Sweezus. Shit.

They have now reached the jetty. Only the first half is open. Some locals are at the barrier protesting.

Bandy: Every bloody weekend!

Snook: Yeah, every bloody weekend. Always some ship in.

Bandy: Goin' to the meetin' tonight?

Snook: Pffft! As bloody if !

(In Wallaroo, things haven't changed much.)

Hi dudes, says Sweezus, to Bandy and Snook.

They eye him with suspicion.

You from the Ports? enquires Bandy.

Nup, says Sweezus, just a visitor. Looking to catch a few cuttlies, with my mate here.

Bandy and Snook turn their gazes to Arthur, then back to Sweezus.

How you gunna catch em? says Snook.

With snails, says Arthur.

Bandy and Snook laugh derisively.

Tell you what, says Bandy. Come back tonight and we'll show you how to do it. We can take out dad's tinny.

Yeah, says Snook. Bring a torch and an esky.

Cool, says Sweezus. What time?

After sunset, says Bandy. That's the best time.

I'm new to this, says Sweezus. Just starting up my own business.

Yeah? says Snook. We should bring Jazzman.

Yeah, Jazzman! says Bandy. He's got an MBA, Jazzman.

See you later, then, says Arthur.

See you later, says Sweezus.

They walk back to the start of the jetty.

What now? says Sweezus.

Pub, says Arthur. Or we could throw rocks at the sea.

Or both, says Sweezus. Or in reverse order. Throw rocks, then go to the pub.

Four ways to kill time.



No comments: