Sunday, September 20, 2015

Go There And Start Poking

It seems Unni recognises the rubber spider.

Better answer circumspectly.

Yeah, sort of, says Sweezus.

It's one of my rubber spiders, says Unni. I used to collect them. This one was my favourite.

Sweezus thinks: What a shit Ray is. Giving Fish Unni's favourite.

How sweet, says Unni. A peace offering, from dad.

She goes out to the ute, where Ray has just swallowed the end of his giant banana.

Come in, dad, says Unni. At least have a glass of water.

Ray glares at his undutiful daughter.

He doesn't want to come in, but he would like a glass of water.

........

Isn't this nice, says Katherine.

Wonderful, says Ray.

They are alone in the front of Ray's ute, heading to Bowral.

Ray turns his head, in an attempt to see through the rear window.

All this room, says Katherine. So good of Unni and Sweezus to ride in the tray.

Can't see 'em, mutters Ray.

You don't suppose they fell out? says Katherine.

Course not, says Ray. Suspension would feel completely different.

How clever, says Katherine. But I wasn't serious. I imagine they're both lying down.

Ray looks thunderous, and deliberately heads for a pothole.

Ka-thunk.

Unni is heard saying Ouw!

.......

In the back of the ute, Unni and Sweezus are lying side by side looking upwards, their heads resting on straw.

If anyone told me this morning I'd be doing this....... says Unni.

What? says Sweezus.

This, says Unni. Going somewhere with dad. I feel kind of..... sentimental.

Yeah, says Sweezus. I feel kind of.....guilty.

Guilty, what for? asks Unni.

(Stop Sweezus! Don't tell her the True Story Of How She Got Back Her Favourite Rubber Spider!)

Sweezus stops. Weirdissimo! It's as though a voice in his head has told him not to be truthful. But there are other ways to be truthful.

Guilty for bringing all you guys along on my mission, says Sweezus.

But it's brilliant, says Unni. A new species of funnel web spider. You might get naming rights.

Actually, says Sweezus, Gaius just wants me to document it. It's already been found.

Oh, says Unni, Who by?

Doctor Wallenius, says Sweezus.

How long ago? asks Unni.

Weeks ago, says Sweezus.

And where is this Doctor Wallenius now? asks Unni.

Dunno, says Sweezus.

But he'll have the new spider with him, says Unni. He'll be back at his lab, supervising genetic and morphological analyses. What's your plan, then?

Plan? says Sweezus. Just go to Booderee National Park and start poking.

For heaven's sake! says Unni. What have I let myself in for?

No comments: