Friday, September 18, 2015

Suck On His Spur

So, tomorrow? says Ray.

I reckon, says Sweezus.

But what time? asks Ray.

Depends, says Sweezus.

What on? asks Ray. You're not catching the train?

Why not? says Sweezus.

Train takes all day, says Ray. One hour to get back to Sydney Central. Then six hours on the South Coast Line to Jervis Bay. No, six hours and a quarter.

Yeah, says Sweezus ( as if he too has looked at the timetable). So you won't want to come then.

Not on the train, says Ray. We're driving. You can pay half the petrol. It's 220 kilometres from Penrith. In my Toyota, it's three hours, tops.

Thud! Rattle. The family has arrived back from Leura.

Hello Katherine, says Ray. I was just leaving. How was Leura?

Beautiful, says Katherine. And steep. Not for the faint hearted.

Jelly knees? smirks Ray.

Mind your own business, says Katherine, picking a blueberry from a plate on the kitchen table.

Sweezus and I are off tomorrow, says Ray. Off in search of a new type of funnel web spider.

I hope you find one, says Katherine.

Is that okay, Katherine? asks Sweezus. You'll have to fly home on your own.

I may stay a little longer, says Katherine. I should like to catch up with ..... someone in Penrith. Could I get a lift with you, Ray?

Not a lot of room in the ute, Katherine, says Ray.

I'm sure you can fit me in, Ray, says Katherine. And my luggage. See you tomorrow then?

Ray grits his pastoral teeth.

Oh well. It's not far to Penrith.

.............

Next morning. Daddy goes off to  work. Mummy is taking the children to school.

Bye bye, Fish, Bye bye, Butterfly, see you straight after Christmas, says Katherine.

Bye grandma, say Butterfly and Fish.

That was short, says Katherine, but delightful. A lovely birthday weekend. Fish liked his Fart Gun. What did you give him, again?

One of Ray's presents, says Sweezus.

Which one? asks Katherine.

Actually they were both from me, says Sweezus. Sort of.

That wasn't made clear, says Katherine.

No, says Sweezus. And I regret it.

He picks up the spider pen and the spider eraser, which are lying on a shelf in the kitchen. The eraser is awesome. Pink body, black legs. He wonders why Ray chose a pink one.

When is Ray coming? asks Katherine.

Dunno, says Sweezus. Soon. Who're you visiting in Penrith?

Unni, says Katherine. She has something for me.

Cool, says Sweezus. I'll drop in as well.

You'll be lucky, says Katherine. She and Ray haven't been talking. Ray won't want to linger.

Ray can suck on his ....spur! says Sweezus.

His spur! Where did that come from?

No comments: