Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Nature Is Awesome

Now can we get my bike back? says Oscar.

I don't think so says Em. It's at the bottom of Lake Geneva.

There's a ladder, says Terence.

We're not going down it, says Em.

They retrace their steps to the ice cream shop where David is waiting.

All safe and sound are we? says David. What's that in your helmet, Terence?

My lucky parrot, says Terence. It came out of an accident.

David peers in at the expiring bird.

At least it looks comfy, says David. I see you've lined it. What's that stringy stuff?

My hair, says Vello. I donated some strands.

Very thoughtful, says David. Well, now what?

Oscar's bicycle, says Em. I suppose we should at least have a look.

They start walking back to the fountain.

Ee! ee! the baby bird cries.

Hush, says Terence. Or you'll go in the tool box!

(You can't blame him. And you can't blame Saint Joseph. It's how they both were brought up).

David's phone rings. It's Sweezus, asking if they've found Terence.

How kind of Sweezus. How thoughtful. How empathetic.

Yes, Terence is here, says David. I'll put him on.

Hello? says Terence.

I hear you drowned, says Sweezus. You okay?

I fell in Lake Geneva, says Terence. I was down at the bottom. The fish were STARING. Then they showed me the ladder.

Awesome, says Sweezus.  Nature is awesome. You'll appreciate it more when you're bigger.

You won't, says Terence.

Sweezus ignores this.

And then you got kidnapped? he says.

Yes, says Terence. Kidnapped, and kept in the Tower of Loneliness. And then, guess what, you won't like this.

Don't tell me, says Sweezus. Saved by a bird?

She said she was a crane, says Terence. But I know a crane when I see one. She gave me an egg.

Cool. You had something to eat then, says Sweezus.

Ee ee! squeaks the baby bird.

What's that sound ? says Sweezus.

My lucky baby parrot, says Terence.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Lucky. Well, good to know you're okay. I'll put Belle on.

Hello? says Belle. Terence?

But Terence has given the phone back to David.

Belle? says David. Yes, Terence is fine. He's got a wee birdie in his helmet. Yes, the helmet you sent over. No, we didn't. All right then, we will....By the way, have you spoken to Katherine?

Yes, says Belle. She wants me to go with her to Blaxland, but I can't, so Sweezie's going.

Good lord! says David. I hope he knows what he's in for!

Oh you know him, says Belle. He's going to get paid.

By mother? says David.

Partly by her, and partly by Gaius, says Belle. There's a new species of funnel web spider been discovered in Boodera Park near Jervis Bay and Gaius has asked him to look into it, because he's been held up in Utrecht....

Funnel web! says David. Aren't they deadly? Anyway, nice of Sweezus to call and check up on Terence.

Mmm, says Belle. Wasn't it!

(By which we may gather that she was the prime mover).


No comments: