Thursday, September 24, 2015

My My No Way A Real Pony

What's Axe Twenty Nine? asks Sweezus.

Everyone knows what Axe Twenty Nine is, says Mo. It's in the bible.

No it ISN'T, says Joybells. You're too young to get it.

So is it a joke or what? says Sweezus.

As if there would be jokes in the bible, says Merve.

Black mark against Sweezus.

Axe, says Faith. Axe of the Apostles. If he doesn't know that, it's because he's a pony.

I want my My Little Pony, asks Mo. Mum, can I have it back now? Ple-e-e-ase!

No, Mo, I'm keeping your My Little Pony until bed time. Then we'll see.

Unni sees Sweezus looking puzzled. Yes, he's out of his depth now. He's probably never heard of the Acts of the Apostles. Why would he?

( But in fact, he's trying to get his head around 'my my' and 'your my' little pony. What's with the double possessives?)

The Acts of the Apostles! says Unni. I know it. But why Acts 29? Acts only has 28 chapters.

Da-dah! says Merve. And so therefore....?

Oh, I get it, says Unni. That's cool. You're the next chapter.

Planting more churches, says Merve, proudly. Mark's the head pastor in Bowral.

And he wouldn't employ my dad, says Unni. Well, I don't blame him.

Your dad's a good man, says Merve, but over this last year, he's lost his entire congregation.

I've got them, says Unni. They all followed me because..... for some reason.

No kidding, says Merve. Perhaps you would ....?

No way, says Unni. I've got my hands full.

 What about him? asks Merve.

What about him? asks Unni. Oh him. He's an arachnologist, We're searching for spiders.

The children look at Sweezus with respect. Spiders!

But for Merve, this is a second black mark against Sweezus.

No way the real Jesus would focus on a particular species.

She goes round to the front of the ute to deliver her verdict.

Have you caught any spiders? asks Joybells.

Not yet, says Sweezus.

I've got this one, says Unni.

She pulls the rubber spider out of her back pack, and makes its legs jiggle.

That's not REAL, says Mo.

Nor is your My Little Pony, says Faith. But you LOVE it.

It IS real, says Mo.

Sweezus is fiddling about with his plait. It's half undone already.

Can I pat you? asks Mo.

Fuck no, says Sweezus. I mean.....no. Sorry little girl. We ponies sometimes say rude words but that doesn't mean you should say them.

I know, says Mo. My My Little Pony calls my sister a Pig's Bottom.

My-my? says Sweezus.

Uni shoots him a look.

That's rude too, says Sweezus. Pig's bottom.

No one says anything. From the front of the ute comes the sound of Katherine laughing.

Mo, Faith and Joybells gaze up at the man who has said a rude word and blamed it on being a pony.

Mum said he might turn out to be special.

No comments: