Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Blessing Of Small Oranges

The Jeep stops in Nowra. Ray is obliged to stop too.

Merve goes off to buy sandwiches, fruit and water, in case there's no shop in the Booderee National Park.

Ray still has his bag of small oranges.

We can't live the whole day on oranges, says Katherine.

What's this ? says Unni. Have we only got oranges?

Oranges, says Sweezus. I once ate three oranges, and they gave me rash on my forearms.

There you are dad, says Unni. Look what might happen.

I can eat one or two, says Sweezus. I'm just saying.

I'll go and buy something, says Katherine. Where did Merve go to get those sandwiches?

Ask her, says Ray.

Katherine goes off to ask Merve where she got the sandwiches.

Merve tells her she got them in Junction Street.

Sweezus and Unni take the opportunity to look around Nowra, and the Shoalhaven River.

(If enough time elapses, Gaius ( in Belgium) will wake up and look at his phone).

This is a cool place, says Sweezus. I wouldn't mind staying. They had the World Wakeboarding Championships here.

That was years ago, says Unni.

Yeah, but still, says Sweezus. Great place for it. Water and everything.

Funny boy, says Unni. Was that true about the rash on your forearms?

No, says Sweezus. I just wanted to cheer up your dad.

Like how would that have cheered dad up? asks Unni.

He doesn't like me, says Sweezus.

He does like you, says Unni. He just doesn't know how to show it.

And I wanted sandwiches, says Sweezus. I hope Katherine remembers I'm not vego.

They wander back to the ute, as Katherine is climbing into the cabin.

Cheese and lettuce, says Katherine. I hope that's all right with everyone.

(Fail! Cheese and lettuce)..... (and still no phone call).

Yoo-hoo! Merve waves from the Jeep. Only half an hour to the National Park. See you there! We'll go ahead and find a nice lunch spot.

Mo, Faith and Joybells can't believe it's still  half an hour till lunch time.

I'm hungry NOW, says Mo. Can we just have......anything?

You can wait, says Merve. Think of the poor children who REALLY don't have anything.

Mo thinks of the children who REALLY don't have anything. She knows who they are.

........

Gaius wakes up early in Belgium. Aha! A missed call!

Perhaps it's from Arthur.

But no. It's from Sweezus. It may be the good news that he's found the new funnel web spider, and made copious notes and numerous diagrams! He decides to savour the anticipation, and eat breakfast first.

He peels two small oranges, to eat with yesterday's bread.

No comments: