Tuesday, September 27, 2016

No Credit For Sensitivity

The two tinnies are side by side, and conversation is possible.

Gaius is explaining his project to Tullio.

I had great difficulty obtaining cheap equipment, says Gaius. Frankly, the Environment Institute was of little assistance.

Sorry to hear that, says Tullio. We do have a tinny.

I know, says Gaius. And you are in it.

It came in useful, as it happens, says Tullio, eyeing the two dripping ladies.

True, says Gaius. Anyway, Ageless here volunteered to assist me, being sensitive to fish noise, and having, as he does, an excellent memory.

I know Ageless, says Tullio. We cross paths in the library. He usually ignores me.

Preoccupied, probably, says Gaius. He has fossilised clam trouble. But to continue, young Terence has now skewed the results.

Tullio looks properly at Terence, for the first time.

Tullio: I think  I've seen you before.

Terence: I used to live in a palace.

Tullio: In it, or on it?

Terence: No. Yes.

So Tullio is put off that line of questioning.

Have you thought of applying for funding? asks Tullio.

Never, says Gaius. I am wary of being beholden.

Understandable, and funding is probably unnecessary for a man of your stature, says Tullio. But the rest of us...... what do you think, Daniel O'Connell?

Me? says Daniel O'Connell. What would I want funding for?

To visit the Canaries, says Tullio. Check out if you're truly related to Black Jumping Spiders.

How do I get it? asks Daniel O'Connell.

See me, says Tullio. I can help you to write an application. I've been successful before.

Meanwhile the wet women are munching on Monkey Bread, and trying to get warm.

What can I have ? asks Terence. I don't want that. It's brown.

Here, says Belle. I brought some raspberry cordial, just for you.

Red cordial is bad for children, says Margaret.

What do you know? says Terence.

What does anyone know? says Baby Pierre.

You think you're smart, says Terence. That's what I know.

Ageless has been sulking, under the cross thwart.

No credit at all, for his sensitivity. No one even asked him. And no tickets.

But he too is interested in funding.

Are they not friends? Do they not see one another in the State Library. Did he not once help Tullio draw snapping shrimps for a graphic video he was producing?

He emerges from under the cross thwart.

Too late. Tullio has pushed off in his tinny.

Hey ho.

He turns his attention once again to obtaining the tickets. Tickets. Yes dear delicious Kobo. I will come to meet you with tickets. So what if I ruined the other ones. These ones are better... these are....

It occurs to him that he doesn't know what show the tickets are for.

Nor has he been offered them. Yet.


No comments: