Thursday, September 15, 2016

Paths That Cross And Uncross

If you looked through the back window you would see Terence (cement baby Jesus) and Baby Pierre (atheist and free thinking pebble) sitting on the grass, deep in discussion.

You would not see Daniel O'Connell (a spider, not yet a parrot), because he is small.

They are figuring out how they might get to the Canaries.

But no one is looking through the back window.

Gaius is inside, on the phone.

Environment Institute? says Gaius. Put me through to Associate Professor Ivan Nagelkerken.

I know him, says Ageless.

You do not, says Belle.

Ivan? says Gaius. It's Gaius Plinius Secundus..... yes... do call me Gaius.....I'm interested in your study of fish noise, and I was wondering if I might ..... oh..... yes..... very kind..... and may I bring a colleague of mine who has underwater audio recording skills? .......this afternoon, two o'clock, fine.

Ageless knows the professor, says Belle.

Correction, I know of him, says Ageless. I know his associate, Tullio Rossi. A marine biologist and science communicator. Our paths sometimes cross in the library.

Why didn't you say so? says Gaius. This will smooth the way.

To what? asks Belle.

To assistance with a further study, says Gaius. Presumably, these people have access to some sort of tinny.

Belle looks sceptical.

Good luck with that, she says. But don't forget, Margaret has a tinny.

Let's hope it won't come to THAT, says Gaius.

Well, I'll be off, says Belle. Where is Terence?

At last she looks out of the window.

But no one is there, and the side gate is open.

Oh no! says Belle.

Don't panic. I'll find them, says Ageless.

No comments: